Saturday, April 29, 2006

Lions and Tigers and Bears-Oh My!

OK, so maybe just bears. One bear. My grandma called me Thursday morning from Texas to tell me she heard on the National News that there was a Black Bear on the loose in our city! Yikes! I was just outside with the kids...by ourselves next to the huge hill by our home. So I tell Kyle he needs to stay inside until I find out exactly where this bear is roaming around. I find that all 3 sightings are about 10 miles away and figure it's safe enough for him to go play outside with his friend. He was still pretty nervous that 10 miles wasn't far enough away, so I told him, "It's all the way over near Costco", hoping that would help him realize the distance. As soon as Daddy got home, he informed him, "Dad! There's a bear at Costco!" Silly kid. So on with our day we went.
Forward to about 5pm. Kyle comes running inside...TERRIFIED and in tears. He tells me, "I saw the bear in the trash dumpster!" Um, ok? His genuine fear has me slightly intrigued, if not a little concerned. So I take a look at the dumpster from our balcony. (I'm not stupid, after all!) Was it a bear? Not exactly. It was our neighbor's 2 kids taking out the trash. He couldn't *see* the kids, but just heard the rustling and banging of trash being dropped into the dumpster. Oh, the relief. Safety was once again restored.
Or was it? Just last night there was another sighting of the bear trying to get on the freeway about 3 exits away from us. Should we get out all of our UCLA Bruins paraphernalia? Hang it as a sign of our undying support of the Bruin Bear?
(this is Kyle "bear huntin" outside our front door)

2 comments:

Valarie said...

it's still loose? crazy!

emlouisa said...

That's nuts!!! And lol about the rustling in the garbage!