Wednesday, November 21, 2007

2 years ago today...

This is what Kyle looked like:




He followed the older neighbor boys down our steep driveway on his bike and fell. Bad. Luckily, the boys turned around and saw him and carried him home. I actually happened to be out looking for him at that exact same time (mother's intuition, perhaps?), so when they came to our door, nobody was home. They then carried him to their apartment where his mom started cleaning up his face. It was a good thing because she was able to warn me before I actually saw him. He'd flown off his bike at the end of our driveway/parking lot, landing on the edge of the sidewalk. Had he gone 1-2 more feet, he'd have ended up in the street. To this day, I still have nightmares about what could've been. I wonder if I'll get to the point where the "day before Thanksgiving" doesn't leave me with a gloomy pit in my stomach, remembering this particular day. I can't believe how blessed Kyle was. No, he wasn't wearing a helmet either. But everything you see ended up being just "surface" injuries. No injuries to his head, eyes or bones in his face. Amazing, really.

And just for kicks, this is him a few weeks later. This photo is entitled: "Fat man in a little tie" (from the late Chris Farley's "fat man in a little coat")

7 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Are you sure that was 3 years? I was thinking we told you to pose Kelly with him w/a ball bat and make your cards say "Season's Beatings!"

Mamarazzi said...

wow..ouchy!! poor kiddo, looks like he took it like a little man though!

sheri said...

uh, char...Kelly was a baby. This will be her 3rd Thanksgiving, lol.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

So, her first Thanksgiving was 2005, right? That would be two years ago, by my calculations. Just sayin'....

Becky said...

I think I remember you posting this the first time.
Poor Kyle
That is why I hate riding bikes.
Give me a lake with monsters in it any day.

sheri said...

dangit! Fixed.

kellyo75 said...

Oh man, that looks brutal. Poor thing! Happy Thanksgiving. Praying nothing like that happens this year!