Thursday, September 14, 2006

It's That Time of Year Again!

Fall!!!
I. Love. Fall.
We woke up this morning to drizzle and clouds. Ahhh...what sweet relief.
I love all things about Fall.
I love the cooler weather.
I love the changing colors.
I love the anticipation of Halloween and the upcoming holidays.
I love football.
I love cozy evenings inside because it's dark by 5pm.
And most of all...I love pumpkin cookies!

My mom got me hooked on pumpkin cookies years ago. I have such fond memories of us making these together. Mostly because it was always Fall. So to kick off the new season, I made a batch this afternoon while my kids slept. The joy! The cozy feelings! The delicious smell in my home! Although for some strange reason, I only feel right making these during cool weathered days.

Pumpkin Cookies
2 1/4 cups flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon will do, also)
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup canned pumpkin (I use more)
1-2 cups chocolate chips

Combine dry ingredients. In large bowl, cream butter w/sugars. Add egg and vanilla. Alternate adding dry ingredients and pumpkin to butter mixture. Add chocolate chips. Bake at 350 for 12-17 minutes.

What do YOU love about Fall?

13 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I don't think I've ever had oatmeal in my pumpkin cookies. If you say it's good, I'll trust you.

I love that fall means that yard work is coming to an end. I also love lots and lots of blankets at night.

ShelahBooksIt said...

I love pumpkin cookies! It's totally not fall here yet, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Anonymous said...

Cool weather, colorful leaves, nobody nagging me to take them swimming, and sleeping in a freezing cold room.

~ubercyl, who switched to blogger beta

QueenMeadow said...

love the changing leaves! Love pumpkins on porches and halloween. Love lots of blankets on the bed and hot apple cider after the kids go to bed (I don't like to share!).

Colleen said...

I love fall too. Unfortuantly here in Texas, we wont get fall until - oh - December! We had our church activity tonight and we had all kinds of pumpkin deserts. YUMMMMY!!!

sheri said...

Oh, and before you go and get jealous of the fall here...don't be. You need to remember I'm in Southern California. Santa Ana winds are expected Sunday. 90+ and windy as hell. Good times.

Rachelle said...

Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the cooler weather and warmer clothes. I love the changing colors. And I love pumpkin cookies too!

Anonymous said...

my favorite thing about fall is that the sun goes to bed earlier... which means... SO DO MY KIDS!!!

Anonymous said...

ohhh, Ive had some pumpkin sitting in my cupboard for ages. that sounds so good.

Valarie said...

I haven't had oatmeal in my pumpkin cookies, either. I made some last week that were just 15 oz of pumpkin and one spice cake mix. simple, yummy, relatively healthy.

I thought I was ready for fall. now it's here and I'm freezing.

Unknown said...

I love that I get to bake again!! Without heating up my house. :P

Kristine said...

Yum! I will have to try that recipe. We make pumpkin chocolate chip muffins in the mornings year round...and love them, so these sound like winners in my home!

I love hot cocoa, sweaters and that chill in the air that leaves the tip of your nose pink and cold to the touch. I love a fire in the fireplace, and warm socks and blankets. Fall is my favorite time of year.

I'm glad to have found your blog!

Carrie said...

Ooh! I so have to make these cookies this weekend! YUMMY!!

I LOVE FALL!! Except for the colds that the change of weather brings! But, ooh, I'm so getting butterflies for the season!