We got off to a rocky start. First, I had to get up at 4:30am to get ready. I then got the kids up at 5:30am and we headed out the door to the airport. We got there around 7am and our flight was leaving at 7:45am. Apparently United Airlines "closes" baggage check-in 45 minutes before departure. Who knew. (not me, that's who) So as I'm freaking out in the long line, Jehremy goes to talk to someone. They immediately rushed us up to the front to get us checked in. We said our goodbyes to Jehremy and headed to the gate. They were already boarding, so no time to let the kids run around a bit. Weeee! We get settled in our seats...Kyle in the middle, Kelly and I in the aisle. There's a 40-yr old guy by the window that has his nose buried in his book. This ought to be fun. Right before we leave, I noticed Kelly's diaper has leaked (pee, luckily) onto my pants. Weird, since it was a new diaper. So I got to go change her on my lap in the spacious bathroom. I was just grateful it wasn't poopy! Finally...take off! We're racing down the runway, seconds from leaving the ground when all of a sudden the engines turn off and we slow down. Huh?! We all look around at each other w/confused faces. Did they change how take-offs are done now? Weird. As the plane turns around, the pilot tells us that the engine's "caution" light went off so we're going back to the gate. Freaking yay! I try to act calm so as to not create chaos with my children, but me and the lady on the other side of the aisle kept swapping worried glances. We get back to the gate and all the engines are shut off. This is about the time I call Jehremy, my dad and Char. I mean, who else am I going to talk to?! After about 20 minutes, the pilot tells us the maintenance has found the problem. Some sort of valve needed to be fixed that deals w/the a/c. He also tells us we're welcomed to get off this plane and take a different flight if desired. Hmm...should I get on a different plane? Who knows how long I'll be stuck in this airport w/my kids. And I'd timed this trip just right for Kelly's naptimes. I decide to stay even though a few others got off. After about an hour of waiting on the plane, the pilot tells us the problem is fixed and we're just waiting to re-fuel. He's called the fuel dude, the fuel dude's manager and dispatch and hopefully they'll get to us soon. Someone a few rows back yells out "Let ME call him!" lol Finally...re-fueled and ready to go. You'd think our plane would get priority on the runway, but no. We STILL got to sit in a line waiting for other planes to take off. Nice.
The rest of the flight went really well. Kyle was great, as was Kelly. The best part? She slept on my lap while I got to watch an entire episode of 'The Office'! Thanks, Kelly!

It was fun seeing my family. My parents loved having Kyle and Kelly around. Kyle loved the attention and Kelly loved the new surroundings. I, on the other hand, was exhausted. Exhausted from having to stay inches from Kelly at all waking moments of the day. Not because she was clingy, but because the house is so not baby-proofed. Nothing too fancy that would get broken or anything, just things like glass coffee tables and small spaces for Kelly to fall and get hurt. If we'd gone a few months earlier or later, she'd either been crawling only or walking much better. But we went at that awkward stage where she wants to walk, but falls every few seconds. *sigh*
We went to the aquarium in Denver. That was a blast! Kyle's favorite part was when we watched the sharks swim by us. We were literally inches from them...only seperated by some glass. As the shark swam past, he'd said, "Wow...it's like RIGHT THERE."

Kyle also got to enjoy the fall experience of jumping in a pile of leaves. That may not sound like a big deal to most of you, but living in an apartment complex in Southern California...that was huge for him!

I got to see several longtime friends at church on Sunday. It was great! Just like old times.
The flight home couldn't have gone more smoothly. I even had about 25 minutes before boarding to let the kids run around. As we're in line to board, Kyle says (loudly, of course) "I sure hope the engine isn't broken on THIS plane!" Nice.
So overall, it was a fun trip. The kids were good, slept great. (I, however, got maybe 4-5 hours/night) I'm grateful my parents and siblings got to see the kids. But oh, how nice it was to be back home again. Home where Kelly can run free, Kyle can play outside w/out the fear of frostbite and I can sink into the comfort of my own bed.
(and for good measure...a picture of Kelly helping me unpack)
Thirty Days Of Thanks 2017
8 years ago





6 comments:
There is nothing so heavenly as coming home to your own bed (and your bedmate).
I'm glad your flights were (for the most part) smooth.
Kyle's one-liners kill me.
So when you called Char and told her the news, did she say "No freakin' way?"
I'm glad the whole trip didn't go as poorly as the first few hours. I probably would have called Char, too.
Yikes! Glad it all worked out and you got to go. Also glad you're back!
SO glad yer back....though the daily text messages about Family Feud and John Denver WERE enjoyable.
Such cute kids! Glad it all worked out. And welcome back!
Glad you had fun! Going away alone with the kids is much more trouble than it is worth sometimes. I come home EXHAUSTED afterwards!
Post a Comment