Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Why I heart that kid

I've contemplated blogging this in case Kyle happens to read my blog over my shoulder, but I'm currently avoiding a mountain of work that needs to be done.

So Kyle's bff Lukas took care of our beta fish, Turkey, while we were gone. About an hour before we got on the plane to come home, his mom leaves me a voicemail freaking out that the fish was dead! She said Lukas and his sister were at their dad's house for the weekend, so they didn't know. She was going to the pet store to find a good replacement. Since Kyle was/is so sad about having to leave our friends in Texas, we decided not to tell him about poor Turkey.

Fast forward to last night when we finally picked up the fish. Ok, Turkey use to be pretty much all purple. New Turkey? His head is red/purple, his body is white and his tail is turquoise. I thought, "Oh no, he'll totally know." Kyle spent a few minutes looking at Turkey, then this conversation ensued:

Kyle: Hey, Turkey's changing colors
Me: Heh, how 'bout that
Kyle: Does that mean he's sick or something?
Me: Uh, no, I guess sometimes they just change colors and stuff
Kyle: Well, I LOVE his new colors!

The poor kid is going to need some major therapy when he gets older. I should start saving now. But in the meantime, I continue to cringe/cry/giggle everytime I walk by New Turkey.

7 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

love it! we swapped out a hamster once. the new one didn't bite so we traded up.

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

poor Turkey. too funny, though. and seriously, what are the chances that the fish dye then? poor Lukas' mom!

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

die. not dye. Apparently I've been talking to Char too much about Halloween costumes.

Karen said...

What a great name for a fish. My kids wil need therapy too. I dropped their hamster off in a field to let go "free." I am sure those suckers were dead very quickly. But every time we drive by the field Kaylyn still says that's where our hamsters are. Someday she'll get it. Until then I just nod.

Becky said...

totally PDBL on that one.

Amber said...

ROFL! 'Fish change colors the older they get'. Good to know.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I haven't stopped giggling about this since you told me last night.